Thursday, February 11, 2010

Week 5 EOC Superbowl Ads

This year I felt the Superbowl ads were missing a little pep for the most part. The only ones that really stood out in my mind were the Doritos ad with the dog, the Doritos ad with the little kid, and the Bridgestone ad with the whale. These three stuck with me for various reasons. For example, the Doritos ad with the dog, was simply hilarious. Being an animal lover myself, I find that anti bark collars are just mean and then to try to make the dog bark for a chip was wrong in all accounts, but the dog, while obviously mixed with some clever editing, removed his collar and put it on the guy that taunted him followed by a loud bark was just too funny to pass up. The end of the commercial with the guy reaching for the bag and the dog barking again had me doubled over and almost in tears at the pain the guy was going through because he taunted the dog.

The Doritos ad with the little kid who slapped his mothers date was also exceptionally funny and something that I didnt really expect to happen. I knew right away that the kid was upset at the way the guy was looking at his mom but to actually slap the guy and tell him to "Keep your hands off momma, and keep your hands off my Doritos." was just too funny. I went back several times to watch that one on youtube.com/adblitz. I think it worked well because people in the single parent role do not always think of what their children feel about the romantic persons they are seeing. I thought in all it was a little stereotypical and the ad was aimed more at the african american genre than anyone else but I am probably one of the only ones to feel that way.

The last one that I really enjoyed was the bridgestone commercial with the whale. I really did not know what they were trying to sell untill the very end of the commercial when the bridgestone name came up and their slogan. It made me rethink the commercial to find how it tied into the companies message. Im not so sure what a whale in a truck at a bachelor party has to do with anything, but the ad succeded in making me remember what company was trying to sell tires. Will i necessarily go out and buy a set of tires from them, probably not, I do not have any pet whales, but the advertisement was still funny and got their name out there in front of the largest audience it could have.