Thursday, February 18, 2010

Creamy Sweet Potato Soup

I would have to say that my most favorite soup is a cream of potato soup. Not just any cream of potato but Tastefully Simple cream of potato. Im not really sure what it is about it that is so appealing to me but the warm, creamy, soup with little bits of potato really makes my mouth water. I had never had potato soup before having Tastefully Simple’s brand and since I judge every other potato soup off of it. Most potato soups have too much pepper, but the mix of spices and ingredients in the “just add water” potato soup from Tastefully simple is, for lack of a better term, simply delightful. Its easy to make, although it does take about an hour to make but the house smells so good by the time its ready that I can sit down and nearly eat a whole pot by myself. I have tried, rather unsuccessfully, to make it better by adding my own ingredients but it never makes it better.
If I were to make my own soup, I would probably want to try something like a cream of sweet potato. I have just recently come upon instant mashed sweet potato and while its not as good as real sweet potato I think taking a real sweet potato, chopping it up, making a mildly sweet cream for it and putting it in a can would be a stark alternative for some of the less desirable soups like split pea, or beet soup. It would have just enough sweetness to pass as a desert item without being to over powering like a fruit would be. That and the texture of the sweet potato has a lot more “grain” to it than a regular potato so it could even pass as a breakfast alternative for cream of wheat.